Session 2 The role of foreign language learning
Berdan, S. N. et al. 2012, January 30. English is global, so why learn Arabic? New York Times, Retrieved January 31, 2012, from http://www.nytimes.com <http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/01/29/is-learning-a-language-other-than-english-worthwhile>
Question 6: What can you find out from the debaters’ general information?
I have discovered the following points:
1. All the debaters have their international perspectives.
2. They overwhelmingly promote foreign language learning in the United States even though English is global.
3. They stress the importance of foreign language learning from different perspectives.
Question 7: What does Stacie Nevadomski Berdan mean by saying ‘The World Has Changed’? Or What has happened to the world?
The claim ‘The world has changed’ has a profound implication:
1. Whenever you work abroad, you must compete with globally competent graduates with multilanguage competency.
2. The world knows ‘early language learning works best, and aids cognitive development beyond language arts’ just as opening a window to the world?
3. The world discovers that ‘language also matters for appreciating cultures, connecting and building relationships around the world’.
4. The world faces the situation in which ‘as business globalizes, our colleagues, customers, owners and investors are increasingly overseas’.
Course work for Session 2: Answer the following questions:
1. What are your updated purposes of learning English?
2. How do you improve your English learning for your new purposes?
You are required to present your class work as responses to the article “英语学科发展前沿：第02讲：Role of foreign language learning” in the category “英语学科发展前沿课程” of 吴本虎学友之园 – 博客生活 http://www.cnweblog.com/wubenhu/ This course work is required to be presented by 24:00, 29 February 2012.